Spillage DIY Tips
Disclaimer: Portsmouth Carpet Cleaning cannot be held responsible for application of advice in this section by third parties.
Knowing what to do immediately after a spillage, while you wait for specialised help, is often the key to help minimise the risk of permanent stains.
In general, the longer a stain sits the more difficult it will be to treat, but there are immediate steps you can take to increase the chance of that we can successfully remove a stain from your carpet or rug.
- Carefully blot or scrape up any spill excess, using only colourless cloths or multiple paper towels to absorb as much surface residue as possible.
- You may need to repeat this process depending on the size and type of spill.
- Do not rub or crush the carpet pile as this can distort it. Use a blotting or dabbing motion.
Specific Stain Responses for Paint
- Scrape off as much as possible using a spatula or plastic half shovel to remove the bulk of contents on to waste paper.
- Acrylic paint; dilute with water to keep spill area damp and place damp cloth over area until technician arrives with extraction equipment.
- Enamel paint; using turps or thinners will assist in treatment to remove enamel paint but must be used with extreme caution due to flammability, toxicity & danger of respiratory difficulties. If you do use such products, ensure you use proper protective equipment, and apply sparingly. Carefully dilute stain, and use a spatula/absorbent material as needed to gently scrape up/blot the excess. DO NOT RUB THE PILE. Restrict drying process by placing a water-dampened cloth (cloths need to be neutral colour) over the stained area, until a technician attends. Under all circumstances keep affected area well isolated, well ventilated and avoid anything that could provide a source of flammability.
If you choose not to use Turps or Thinners, restrict drying out of spill by covering with a damp cloth until a technician attends.
Do not saturate the stain with water or solvents as this can create other problems for the treatment process, particularly jute stain transfer from carpet backing. Modern stain treatments work effectively even when spillage has dried.
Please resist the temptation to use household products, home recipes or layman’s advice when treating stains as the wrong approach can complicate professional attempts at treatment or in some cases even set the stain.
For all spills and stains feel free to call Andrew on 07713 707583 for quick and knowledgeable advice